Saturday, September 22, 2007

My Shitty First Draft Review

I read this article about three times before I decide to sit down and answer my questions, I felt as though Anne Lamott was addressing me directly. She put me at ease, I realize that even published writers hit road blocks and that no one is a perfect draft writer. In the next few days I will be writing a rough draft, she helped me realize that it was okay to make errors and that there was nothing wrong with brainstorming and writing about whatever comes to mind. I also feel, even though it was not written, that you do not need to stress about the first draft. The first draft allows you to make changes and corrections so that it will no longer be the Shitty First Draft.

I agree with her suggestions on how to get through the first draft. Sometimes you just need to walk away from a writing project and get refocused. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat down to write something and would come up with every excuse to get up, but, to me that was a realization that I was not focused yet and needed more time. Your first draft is your own, you can go in and make whatever changes you feel are appropriate. There is no one there to judge you or tell you what you should or should not write.

Although I was not writing a First Draft Essay today, I brainstormed, rewrote, watched TV and even went to the kitchen. So, in my opinion, answering questions is going to be the same as writing my Shitty First Draft.

No comments: