Sunday, October 7, 2007

Can We Talk?

Tannen -830

(Question 1)

I think there are two sides to this story. As I read this it comes across how alike mothers and daughters really are. The mother was once a daughter and she may have learned her behavior (as a mother) from her mother. The daughters think that they can never please their mother, but in turn, the mother may have set such high standards for their daughter. I agree is does make it difficult to have an open honest relationship with each other. Both the mother and daughter are always assuming they are going to be criticized by each other.

When I read the portion, Who Cares? I think daughters are always looking for someone to care for them like their mother. Mom was always there when you had a cut, she was the one who kissed it and made it better. That is why some women make an issue out of little things, like a paper cut. They are looking for the sympathy they were given as a child. In times like these, mothers always know best and are always right.

I think mothers and sons have it easier when they communicate. The mother does not set the same type of standards for their son as their daughter. I am sure there are grown men out there that still call their mom when they have a cut on their finger. Men also still need that reassurance that someone cares.

No comments: