Saturday, October 27, 2007

Making a Visual Argument: How Others See Us 999

(Question 1)
In the first painting, I see American portrayed as a land of cowboys and or outlaws. It shows us to be gun toting Americans. It looks as though we are able to carry a gun anytime or any place. Although cowboys were once part of our past, times have changed. If someone showed me this picture as an example of Americans, I would be a little hesitant about coming to America. When I look at the second picture I have strong feelings against this picture. The first thing that I see is airplanes and then it looks like bombs, if I seen someone wearing this headdress I would be offended as an American. I am very proud of the third picture, it shows a woman of another culture that she is tending to the American flag, maybe the flag needed repair and she is taking her time to fix it. Even on her wall she shows pride in America. I think the third picture says the strongest statement because it proves that all cultures and religious background can be proud to be called an American and that Americans should not judge base on someones appearance.

No comments: