Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Gendering Language: Women and Men Speaking

(Question 3)
In my opinion the cartoon that I found most successful was:
"Talk to me, Alice. I speak woman.”
At first glance, I got the perception that maybe the women is in a psychiatrist office and wanting to discuss her problems. Then, the more I studied the picture, I changed my perception, I believe it is a husband and wife.
He is letting the wife know that he is here and ready to hear what she has to say. The husbands’ statement says that he completely understands how she is feeling and what she needs. Since they are in a one on one situation, he is also expressing that fact that he is only focused on her, there are no outside distractions. This is a good example of constructive communication.

The cartoon I found least successful was:
“Look, all I’m saying is….”
This looks like a business meeting and the men out number the women. No matter what her comments are they are not going to take her seriously and they will probably have some sort of sarcastic remark. I think men find it hard to be connected to women’s feelings when they are in a group of other men. They are going to make any comments that make them look masculine.
This cartoon does not show a strong example of quality communication between a man and women. Whenever there is a conversation where one sex out numbers the other, communication is not going to be gratifying.

No comments: