Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Exporting America

(Question 1)

When I looked at these photos, two different aspects of American products came to mind, which would lead to the why I am proud of some advertisements and not others.

I would like to discuss the advertisements that I am proud of first.
A. Disneyland/Walt Disney World is advertised to be “the happiest place on Earth,” it’s nice to see smiles on a child’s face when wearing a Disney shirt.
B. The gentleman wearing a Nike shirt also shows a product that we should be proud of. Nike is such a strong, well supported company that just a logo makes a statement. When I think of Nike, I think of shoes and exercise.
C. The McDonald’s sign in Shanghai is one be proud of. McDonald’s is an American Icon; the golden arches have been a symbol that kids of all ages look for when they are traveling. People think if they see a McDonald’s they know they are going to get some “good American food.”

There are a couple advertisements that do not make me very proud.
A. The young girl in China wearing the red, short Budweiser dress really caught my eye. It looks as though they are promoting beer and exploiting women. Why couldn’t the advertisement be a man at a sporting event wearing a Budweiser T-shirt? It is not the fact that she is wearing a beer logo; it’s the way the logo is presented.
B. I think the advertisement in Iran would make a better statement for Coke if the boys were drinking their coke at a different location. It comes across to me that the store is promoting Coke and Marlboro to children.

No comments: